Chakra is a Sanskrit word that translates to wheel. They are the circular vortexes of energy or energetic centres that are placed along the seven points on the spinal column, from our crown to our tailbone. Each of the chakras is connected to the various organs, glands and the 11 organ system in our body.
There are 7 major Chakras and many minor chakras throughout our body. Chakras are responsible for distributing the life energy known as prana or Qi. There are 7 sounds and colours associated with the chakra and it is the same colour as the rainbow!
It is thought that spiritual energy begins its expression here and filters out through the body at certain points, affecting the organs closest to it. If a chakra is not balanced/blocked, it can have an adverse effect on the corresponding organs, above or below the chakra. The life energy also gets blocked, leading to the onset of mental and health ailments.
The 7 major Chakras are namely, Root/Base , Sacral, Solar Plexus, Heart, Throat, Third eye and Crown.
Here’s a breakdown on the different chakras, their location and how you will feel when that chakra is balanced/unbalanced.
- Root/Base Chakra; This chakra is located at the base of the spine and its colour is red and it represents the earth energy. This chakra is about survival, our basic instinct, sense of belonging, feeling grounded, safe, secured and stability, etc. It is associated with the skeletal, elimination and immune system and our sense of smell. When unbalanced, we may feel fearful, nervous, having low self-esteem and attached to material things, having possible physical problems like constipation, arthritis, sciatica, weakness or problems in the ankles and knees, etc.
- Sacral Chakra; This chakra is located about 1-2 inches below the navel.
Its colour is orange and its element is water. It represents relationship and creativity and reflects the expression of our emotional identity like being happy, joyful, compassionate, creative, passionate and is associated with our sense of taste, physical pleasures such as food, sexuality and sensuality, the reproductive as well as the urinary system. When unbalanced, we may feel insecure about ourselves and may be in manipulative and controlling relationships, unemotional, or overly emotional, having addictions related to pleasure (ie food, drinks, sex etc.), having possible physical problems like fertility, sexual, lower back, urinary or kidney issues, etc.
- Solar Plexus Chakra; This chakra is located between our ribs, at the base of the sternum and above the navel. Its colour is yellow and it represents the fire element. It is the centre of personal power and relates to self-esteem, self-confidence, self-discipline, self-respect, self-acceptance. It is associated with the digestive system and our sense of sight. When unbalanced, we may need constant reassurance from others, indecisiveness, having a sense of insecurity, being angry often, critical, judgmental, controlling, etc. having physical problems like digestive problems, anger issues, stomach ulcers or muscle weakness, etc.
- Heart Chakra; This chakra is located at the centre of the chest. Its primary color is green and the secondary colour is pink and its element is air. It is the expression of love, compassion, gratitude and governs our ability to trust and forgive and to connect with harmony and peace. It is associated with our respiratory, cardiovascular system and our sense of touch. When unbalanced, it may show up as hopelessness, hatred, anger, despair, depression, jealousy, fear, withholding of love or the inability to forgive or trust, etc. having physical issues like high blood pressure, heart or lung disease etc.
- Throat Chakra; This chakra is located at the base of our throat. Its colour is blue and its element is water. It is the centre of communication, and self-expression and governs both speaking and listening and is linked to the ears as well. It is associated with our metabolic and endocrine system. When unbalanced, one might have difficulties expressing themselves truthfully and effectively, etc. having physical issues like sore throat, tonsillitis, dental issues, neck aches, thyroid problems or hearing problems etc.
- Third Eye Chakra; This chakra is located in the centre of the forehead, between your eyes. Its colour is indigo and its element is light. It is the centre of wisdom, intuition and insight. It affects how we perceive others, the world around us, our ability to separate reality from fantasy or delusions, having a strong intuition, and our ability to receive non-verbal messages. It is associated with our sense of thought. When unbalanced, it may show up as having feelings of confusion, difficulties in focusing, concentrating, lack of imagination, arrogance, egoistic, impatience etc. having physical issues like frequent headaches, sinus, nose congestion, disturbed sleep, brain tumour, strokes, panic attacks and depression, etc.
- Crown Chakra; This Chakra is located at the top of the head. Its colour is violet and is not associated with any element but is developed by thought and the essence of understanding and mindfulness. It is the seat of awareness, understanding and our highest states of potential and being. We would be able to live in the now and feel joyful and inspired without having any material attachments, instead of having a sense of wholeness and completeness. It is associated with our nervous system. When unbalanced, we may feel a lack of purpose, direction or have a hard time making decisions. We might feel flighty or disconnected from the world around us, worry intensely, having anxiety, lack of faith, depression, having rigid beliefs, physical issues like clumsiness, migraines, disease to the brain or immune system, chronic exhaustion, over-sensitivity to light and sound, etc.
Being fully aware of all the 7 major chakras and the organs they impact will help you have a better understanding of your body system and how the body translates our energy blockages into physical symptoms, giving us messages and guiding us towards resolution and solutions by showing us which area we need to energetically unblock.
We have several practitioners in One Heart that work with Chakra balancing using either Crystals, Reiki, Crystal Singing bowls, or vocal toning. Do drop us a mail or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like more information.